Earth911 posted some “scary” recycling facts just in time for Halloween. Here are a few of the scariest ones:
- Each year, Americans use enough paper and plastic cups, forks, and spoons to circle the equator 300 times.
- Approximately 89 billion plastic bags are used each year. Only 13 percent of those are recycled…
- Only half the American population is serviced by curbside recycling. In the South, it’s only 30 percent.
- Due to combined sewer systems, an estimated 850 billion gallons of untreated wastewater and stormwater end up in our oceans each year.
- Only 8 percent of discarded cell phones found their way to a recycling facility in 2009.